Organisation: The Fusilier Museum London
Location: From home
Closing Date: Ongoing
Contract Type: Ideally 1 day per week, ongoing.
Would you like to support the Fusilier Museum to transcribe some of its recently digitised diaries and letters from the late 1800s through to the First World War?
If you are looking for an engaging project to get involved with during lockdown and would enjoy delving into the fascinating stories of the Royal Fusiliers and its soldiers from around the world then this could be the project for you.
The Fusilier Museum London is working on increasing access to its stored collection during lockdown. The Museum is fortunate to have had a proportion of its collection digitised and we are keen to share this material with our visitors. Our aim is to uncover untold stories within the collection, to share these with our visitors both though the opportunity to transcribe these historic documents and via our online catalogue to encourage greater use and enjoyment of the collection.
What’s in it for you?
· Opportunity to transcribe historical documents, from the 1800s to FWW
· Experience of undertaking historical research
· Working with staff and volunteers to achieve objectives
· An opportunity to gain an understanding of the work of The Fusilier Museum London
· To produce transcriptions of the Museum’s stored collection material
· To help the Museum uncover hidden stories surrounding its collections and objects
· The opportunity to carry out further research as/if necessary
· The opportunity to assist the Assistant Curator with further copyright research as required
This role will suit people who:
· Have an interest in or knowledge of history and heritage
· Have good computer skills
· Are methodical, patient and organised
· Have an advanced level of literacy and numeracy
To apply for this post please download the volunteer application form here and return it to the Assistant Curator at firstname.lastname@example.org. All application forms will be considered, and the Assistant Curator will be in touch to discuss the role further.